Pages

Jul 10, 2011

The Gardener

"Jakhon pratham dhoreche koli amar mallika(curry patar) bone"
Recently I have started taking interest in growing plants. On my recent visit to Kolkata I found that the backyard of my Kolkata home was full of weeds and unwanted plants. So one day I along with my trusted aide U started cleaning the backyard. It took an entire evening to de-weed the backyard.
Once the cleaning was done there was not much to do apart from planting few seeds. We started with gourd followed by green chillies and curry leaves. The result was awesome, within a week small sprouts of chillies grew and the gourd also sprawled quite fast. I was really happy.
My mother was an ardent gardener but I was never. Maybe slowly with age I am gaining interest in things that require patience. Often I look at myself and feel that slowly I am becoming like my mother. Nowadays I look like her and also feel like her. Maybe I understand her more now than I had ever before. Only if she had been alive to see the new 'me'.The guava tree that my ma had planted still stands in our Kolkata backyard only the planter is far away. Trees and plants give you a sense of stability that none other could give. So here starts my new avataar of a gardener. lets see how long it lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails